Increasing the amount of fiber you consume not only improves your overall health but can also work wonders for helping you lose weight. The best part about fiber is that it gives a sensation of fullness and keeps hunger satiated for a longer period, thus helping to prevent overeating. However, you must make sure that the increase in fiber content takes place gradually and not overnight.
Tips to Increase Fiber Intake
Here are some great ways to increase the fiber content in your diet to aid in your weight loss efforts.
- Switch to Bran Flakes: Opt for bran flakes instead of corn flakes with raisins. This will supply about 25 percent of your body’s daily dietary fiber needs.
- Eat Whole Fruits More Often: While natural fruit juices are healthy and pack in a lot of vitamins, they contain no fiber. For instance, eight ounces of orange juice has 110 calories. Eating an orange on the other hand will make you feel fuller on fewer calories. Three pieces of a fruit will provide about 12 grams of fiber which is half of the recommended 25 grams of fiber per day.
- Pick Whole Grain Bread: Whole grain bread provides several grams of additional fiber per slice. White bread, on the other hand, has negligible or no fiber content. Start by making the switch to whole grain bread just a few times in a week to ease the transition and in time you just might begin preferring whole grain bread to white bread.
- Eat More Beans: Add beans to your salads and soups to increase your fiber intake. Dry beans need to be soaked properly before their preparation. So, if you do not have enough time, canned beans are a good option. However, make sure that you check the sodium content (generally canned foods are higher in sodium). Also, there is a wide choice of beans to pick from and you can be sure to find one that you like.
- Increase Fiber Content in Your Favorite Foods: Experiment with your favorite dishes by adding to their fiber content. For instance, you could try adding flax seeds (ground) to turkey meatballs for your meatloaf or spaghetti.
Incorporating these tips in your diet plan can go a long way in helping you improve your health as well as aid your weight loss program.