We know very well our body needs vitamin C to protect us from cold, calcium to strengthen our bones and chocolates for saving our relationships. But in our attempt to lose weight we often overlook fiber as a major component of our diet. While, carbohydrates, protein and fat grab the diet industry’s attention, fiber which is the fourth leg of the diet table should also be taken into consideration.
Study after study has shown that high fiber foods apart from reducing heart attack and cancer risks also help to cut down calorie consumption thus aiding weight loss. Here we will discuss some of the most effective ways you can introduce fiber into your breakfast menu to help you lose weight.
Top 5 Fiber Food Tips for Weight Loss: Breakfast
Here are some great fiber food tips for your breakfast to help you shed those extra pounds faster.
- Fill up on nectar: Fill up your glass with nectar instead of juice concentrates. Nectar contains peaches, pears, apricots or papaya juice along with pulp which is loaded with fiber. An 8 ounce glass of nectar packs over 1 gram of fiber.
- Add spice to your eggs: A clove of garlic along with some chopped onions (1/3 cup) adds about 1 gram of fiber to your regular scrambled eggs. You could even try folding your omelet over some cooked broccoli (1/2 cup) for an extra 2 gram dose of fiber.
- Sprinkle some ground flax seed over cereal: Try stirring in a few spoons of ground flax seeds into your yogurt or just sprinkle some over cold cereal. Two tablespoons of ground flaxseed adds around an extra 2 grams of fiber.
- Buy fiber spreads: Get fiber spreads like almond butter for whole wheat toasts. Two tablespoons of spreadable fiber adds about an extra 2 grams of fiber. These fiber spreads are also high on vitamins and heart protecting fats.
- Opt for oat bran: Instead of oatmeal, opt for a bowl of oat bran. Oat bran packs about an additional 2 grams of fiber. To add flavor, stir in about 1/4 cup of chopped dates or raisins.
Incorporate these fiber food tips in your breakfast menu to help aid your weight loss efforts.